Learn how to make a festive and surprisingly easy Brass Star Holiday Decoration. It should take just 30 inutes and you get to use your Bernzomatic torch!
- TS3500TK - Bernzomatic Multi-Purpose Trigger Start Torch and Propane Kit
- Impact driver or Drill
- Star Template available to download here
- Brass rod, 3.18mm (1/8”) x 1m
- 10 stout screws, #10
- ¾” Plywood, ~300mm x 400mm
1. Clamp your plywood onto your worktable or bench.
2. Tape the star template (or draw your onwn) onto the plywood.
3. Drive the screws into each vertex of the star, without screwing them all the way in. You want about to leave about ~1/2” of each screw above the plywood.
4. Use your pliers to attach the brass rod to the outside of the screw at the top point of the star with about an inch extra.
5. Use your hand to bend the rod around each screw, tracing the outline of the star template.
6. Once you have returned to the top of the star, remove your brass shape from the plywood jig.
7. Clamp your star vertically to your workbench so you can heat the ends with the torch safely.
8. Once the rod is heated and pliable, use pliers to bend a curved hook on the long side and then make a smaller catch on the short side. The metal will be hot so only use the pliers to touch the metal and wear gloves.
9. If needed twist the hook to allow the catch to seat securely (watch the video below for more clarification).
10. Once the star has cooled down, you can adjust the shape with your hands to get the star to your liking.
11. Use greenery (attached with floral wire), ribbon, and twine to ornament and hang your brass stars.
This blog is adapted from Bernzomatic.com and the project created by The Grit & Polish watch the full video below.